BloomBoard helps teachers improve their practice by enabling personalized feedback & support that meets their individual needs
What does the product do?
- Provides free observation and evaluation software to states and districts in order to implement mandated evaluation processes
- Uses the data collected in the observations to create personalized professional development (PD) goals
- Provides individualized recommendations to PD resources via a marketplace where teachers / administrators can purchase PD content
How does it work?
- Districts do not have new budget dollars to spend on observation tools, but must comply with federal and state mandates
- BloomBoard provides those tools for free, so that the system can then help districts spend their existing PD budgets more effectively
- By providing free compliance software BloomBoard builds a massive multi-state distribution channel, which it can then monetize through a revenue share on content purchases
Where is it used?
- BloomBoard is used by the CO Dept. of Ed, the DE Dept. of Ed, Oakland USD, Rocketship, Aspire, Green Dot public schools, etc.
What is the background?
- Launched in 2011, BloomBoard plays in a space that has typically not drawn many entrepreneurs
- BloomBoard is a for-profit, with investments from Learn Capital & Imagine K-12
- Winner at SXSW’s LaunchEDU 2012 competition
Bloomboard provides teachers the ability to better manage their practice while delivering access to best-in-class PD resources
Teachers and school administrators can easily manage every activity necessary to integrate observations and professional development
- Streamline the process of classroom observations by documenting
- relevant interactions and observations in a central transparent location
- Identify individual strengths, areas for growth, and personalized goals
- Create individualized learning plans for each teacher to guide PD
- activities and track progress
Teachers can easily access best-in-class PD resources
- Navigate through an open marketplace of workshops, videos, case studies, and academic journals related to teacher PD
- Review personalized support recommendations customized to each teacher’s individualized learning plan and area of focus
Access and aggregation of data helps inform interventions and recommendations
- BloomBoard uses the observation data collected and the student data imported into the system to inform its recommendation engine for content
- Customers can purchase premium features, including fully customizable visualizations of all aggregated data to allow for targeted interventions
BloomBoard is starting to improve effectiveness of teacher PD – for both teachers and school administrators
Teachers spend more time on learning that is customized to their needs
- Teachers manage their own professional development by creating lesson plans and accessing PD content that is relevant to the feedback they have received
- Teachers allocate resources (e.g., time, money) to PD activities that are customized and directly aligned with their individual development needs
Teachers have access to best-in-class content and activities
- Teachers spend less time searching for relevant content and instead access the marketplace to select peer-reviewed content and workshops
School administrators able to most effectively provide teachers feedback and resources for further learning
- Principals spend less time determining what PD activities to prescribe to each teacher
- School administrators can better understand the impact of PD time and budget – and thereby spend less time compiling reports related to teacher PD (as per state mandates)